Sunday, October 6, 2024

An October 7 Poem

for months I have thought
of how I will answer my grandchildren
when they ask me, “what did you do
to stop it?”
when it is slaughter wrought
by the hands of my people

all are responsible

I have donated money
    a privileged response
I have gone to vigils
    self-soothing
and I cannot march
anymore.
for decades I have marched, and every passionate step
against wars and for human rights
to no avail

yes, I pray
and I believe
but we do not have enough
pure hearts among us, it seems,
to bend the arc toward peace
or not enough of us
are trying

"I sit inside the shell of the old Me
I sit for world revolution"

but I cannot sit anymore
and the only thing I can think to do
is set myself on fire

I look at the famous Vietnamese monk on fire
almost everyday
as a plea as a protest for an end
to suffering and oppression

on June 11,
which is also my wedding anniversary,
"maintaining his meditative posture"
a friend poured fuel on his body
and he lit a match
as a crowd and a photographer watched
and he burned himself
to death

three people have already
lit themselves on fire
and burned to death
to stop this war:
Aaron Bushnell, Matt Nelson, and an unnamed 61-year-old woman
(how like the Torah to have an unnamed woman)

    Edit: now a fourth attempt – Samuel Mena

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, “What would I do
if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South?
Or apartheid? What would I do if my country
was committing genocide?

The answer is, you’re doing it.
Right now."

What could be more Jewish than fire?
Sometimes holy, sometimes strange or forbidden
always a force of destruction and creation
purification
black fire on white fire
a body, white fire, a soul’s scream, black fire
together the prayer and the protest and the burnt offering and the Torah of the act
lighting one’s own body on fire
in desperation
in horror in grief in guilt
to purify

what of my children and my parents?
what will the people who need me and love me
take from sifting through my ashes?

four people have already lit themselves on fire
to no avail
what hubris is it to imagine
my body burned will make any difference?
my body is not special
my heart is not pure

is this poem enough? when I am asked
what I did, what I am doing, can I answer
"I wrote a poem"?

the bile it brings up
is the answer

like a healthy adult who soils themself on the way to work,
I go about my days, tend to my responsibilities,
eat and walk and love while people suffocate
and explode and burn and grieve
by the hands of my people who are lost in a desert
and then I look at Thich Quang Duc, the Vietnamese Buddhist,
and I am soiled
and stuck
and exhausted
    a privileged response

is this poem a suicide note
from the traumatized, corroded soul of Israel?

not in my name
all are responsible

who shall live and who shall die?
who by fire and who by collapsing building?
who by starvation and who by neglect?
who will be serene and who will be tormented?
who will die in captivity and who will live in captivity?
who will turn their head and who will wring their hands?
who by fire? who by fire? who by fire?

if I light myself on fire, will my body’s candle purify our hearts?
will my burnt offering stop our hands from igniting other bodies?
will a pillar of fire rise from my head to the sky and light the way
out of this desert of ashes?

 



Quote 1: Allen Ginsberg, “Why I Meditate”
Quote 2: “Why have some Buddhist monks set themselves on fire? Buddhism for Beginners.” Tricycle magazine online.
Quote 3: Aaron Bushnell’s final Facebook post before his death by self-immolation. Newsweek magazine online.